Tuesday, February 9, 2010

AA Battery Strategy

SunflowerAmmo.com carries various Fenix AA Flashlights.  The Fenix TK40 flashlight is unique in that it is powered by AA batteries.  I first purchased a AA Fenix LED flashlight after suffering poor runs times with my CR123 powered Surefire lights.  When I purchased the Surefires, CR123 flashlight performance was superior to AA flashlight performance.  LED AA flashlight technology has eliminated the CR123 performance advantage.

The Fenix AA lights are affordable and provide incredible performance.  I use AA NiMh LSD (low self discharge) rechargeable batteries for daily use.  The AA NiMh LSD holds a charge longer than regular rechargeable batteries making them perfect for stored electronics.  They also last up to 4x longer than premium alkaline batteries in high drain applications.  I have found the Rayovac AA 4.0 NiMh to be very affordable and high performing.
I can use the same AA battery in my Fenix LD10 pocket light and my Fenix TK40 in additional to the digital camera, GPS, GSM radios, etc.  I am able to store AA Lithium batteries long term in my emergency supplies.  AA batteries also provide the added advantage of being available in every corner convenience store.

No comments: