Monday, March 8, 2010

EDC Outerwear - Barbour Jackets

I always face an internal struggle when I am going to purchase a new product.  I like quality products but I am somewhat frugal.  Fortunately, I have had good luck finding vendors of quality products that have great sales.  I also take advantage of off season sales i.e. buying coats in the summer.

One of my favorite EDC items is my Barbour Beaufort jacket.  I have the optional snap on hood and snap in pile lining.  I purchased mine from Arrons of Eastham (no association).  The Barbour Beaufort jacket retails for $399 and they routinely have jackets for 50% off retail.  Orvis sells Barbour clothing but it is rarely on sale.  I have had the jacket for a few years and all I can say it that I waited too long.



The Barbour Beaufort and its variants have an waxed cotton outer shell and a cotton lining, usually in a plaid.  The outer shell can be re-waxed as it ages.  Barbour also offers restoration services on jackets damaged in the field or due to age.  These jackets are made to be passed down to your children after you are gone.  The jacket is fantastic in rain.  Barbour cuts its jackets large so they can be worn over a thick sweater, sport jack or suit coat.

The removable pile lining makes the jacket wearable from approx. 65 degrees F down to 20 degrees F in total comfort.  Below 20 degrees F, the Barbour Beaufort is fine for short periods of time but not extended exposure.  Below 20 degrees F, I migrate to my Carhart Artic Jacket  that I will praise in a later post.  Fair warning, once you buy a Barbour jacket you will disappointed with warm, dry, sunny days that leaves your Barbour hanging in the closet.

Now if I can just find the Barbour International Jacket on sale!

No comments: