Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Buy American

I just completed a nasty plumbing project.  My house was built in the mid 1970s.  A 1970s shower valve decided to leak requiring replacement.  Fortunately, there was access to the back of the show via a closet so I did not have to remove any of the shower wall for the valve replacement.
Due to the tight quarters, I needed a set of pipe wrenches smaller that the 14 inchers in my tool chest.  The tool aisle at Home Depot presented me with a choice - $9.99 10" China wrench or $19.99 Rigid 10" pipe wrench made in the USA.  I examined both wrenches.  There was a minor difference in fit and finish.  The major difference was in the jaws.  Rigid pipe wrench jaws are easily replaced.  The China wrench jaws did not appear to be as easy to replace and where would you get the replacements?
In the end it really was not much of a choice as I hate made in China junk tools.  I left Home Depot with a pair of new Rigid 10" cast iron pipe wrenches.  I can only hope that enough Americans continue to buy American made goods to keep out factories open. 

No comments: